How Much Plastic Do You Eat?
Plastic is in almost everything humans produce and consume these days. When plastic isn't reused, recycled, or properly disposed of it begins to break down in the environment. It breaks into tiny microscopic pieces called microplastics which can be found everywhere on the planet. They travel in rain drops, can be blown by the winds and are consumed by small organisms and biomagnify up the food chain. We are eating plastic and we don't even know it.
Want to find ways to stop contributing micro plastics into our natural environments? Consider choosing products with biodegradable packaging like he companies below!
- MarinaTex repurposes unused fish from fish processing facilities to create a compostable plastic alternative!
- Genecis converts food waste into biodegradebale plastics.
- UHaul and many more companies have an option for compostable packing peanuts.
Consider adding one of these filters to your washing machine!
- Filtrol uses a reusable microfibre net to filter out 89% of micro plastics and other biodegradable fibers from your washing machine
- Planet Care has another reusable filter to catch micro plastic fibers coming from your home!
- Elanos has a filter that you throw in with your laundry and it filters as you wash!
Click here to see Dr. David Locky's Website about his research oh and click here for his second website!
Are you interested in his latest journal article that concerns microplastics detected in the waters around Edmonton Alberta? Click Here to read it!